Thursday, June 9, 2011

BOHEMIANS: QUESTIONS FOR ELIZABETH

BEFORE SHE BOARDED A PLANE TO TAJIKISTAN, WE MANAGED TO SIT DOWN WITH ELIZABETH, 22, FOR A FEW QUESTIONS. HERE THE BOHEMIAN LINGUIST (AND ONE OF OUR FIRST CUSTOMERS, EVER) TALKS MIMOSAS FOR BREAKFAST, ANN MARGARET'S FUR CAPE, AND THE UNLIKELY CHARMS OF CARNATIONS AND THE JERSEY SHORE. 


CURRENT LOCATION? New York, but leaving for Dushanbe, Tajikistan tomorrow! (I am going there to continue my studies of the Persian Language.)
CURRENT STATE OF MIND? Terrified and exhilarated about the journey I'm embarking on.
BREAKFAST? Blueberry pancakes and mimosas.
HOLIDAY DESTINATION? Istanbul.
FLOWERS? Carnations (I find them endearing)
CLOSET STAPLE? Scarves in every colour and fabric, especially those with intricate embroidery.
FICTIONAL HERO? Scarlett O'Hara, even though I am more of a Melanie, I've always admired her gumption, courage and lack of scruples; I think she would be the yin to my yang.
FAVOURITE PIECE OF ALIX OF BOHEMIA IN YOUR CLOSET? I would have to say the 'Groupie' waistcoat, because it was my first piece and is so exceptionally original. When I wear it in New York I get jealous stares all the time. 
STYLE ICONS? Ann-Margret in the movie 'Tommy', her costumes are so ridiculous that they're fantastic. Especially her silver mesh jumpsuit with white fur cape, I've have always wanted it!
MUSIC? Lifelong musical loves will always be David Bowie, Johnny Cash, Jefferson Airplane and Beethoven.
EARLY CHILDHOOD MEMORY? Going to the Jersey Shore with my Mom's entire family. Twenty-five of us in one house for a week always brought the best kind of family ruckus.
COCKTAIL? Gin and Tonic.
FAVOURITE BOOK? Lolita.
VICES? Writing dirty limericks during classes and then laughing quietly to myself.
MOTTO? A quote from Margaret Mead: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
WHO WERE YOU IN A PREVIOUS LIFE? As a child I was fascinated with animals; this might sound silly, but I like to imagine myself as having been some kind of wondrous dinosaur!

ABOVE, ELIZABETH WEARS ALIX OF BOHEMIA 'GIOVANNA' DRESS IN SWISS COTTON  IBIZA STRIPE, WITH HER OWN BELT.

THE PICASSO BLOUSE IN TOILE BLEU.
THE STARE-INDUCING (ONE OF KIND) 'GROUPIE' WAISTCOAT WITH SILK FRINGE AND WOVEN RIBBONS, WORN OVER THE PICASSO BLOUSE.